11.07.2009

poor sick baby :(

Our little Sienna is under the weather at the moment... I think I feel worse than she does though! With all of the mass hysteria surrounding swine flu in Canada I was a bit worried when she suddenly started coughing... Yesterday she was very wimpy, coughing, crying, sniffling, but didn't have a fever, which I had been keeping a close eye on as that could be a sign to phone the swine hotline and get tamiflu... Kyle went into the doctors office asking for information on swine flu as my parents have been telling us about how panicked people are in Victoria; individuals with pre-existing illnesses and battered immune systems are lining up in the freezing cold for hours and then getting turned away when there are no doses left to give!
You would think that in London, where there are 10 million people crammed into such a small area, often on the tube holding onto the support rails, or walking shoulder to shoulder on the streets, there would be more hysteria! Surprisingly not. In fact, after receiving the information from our clinic yesterday, Kyle and I were relieved... The receptionist told us that people are only being "invited" to receive the H1N1 immunization if they are at a high risk for getting the flu... e.g. The elderly, or people with pre-existing conditions that would allow their immune systems to be exposed to a flu more easily. Also to our surprise, they are not even giving the vaccine to babies. Read this article for some interesting insight:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j0kZoEFnxMKeBtU1gFAhA9t0DE-wD9BQAGC80

Last night when Sienna woke up screaming however, only for me to pick her up and have her vomit the entire contents of her poor tummy, I got even more worried! I was crying, Sienna was in a fit, (I am pretty sure I would cry too if I woke up to a rumbling tummy followed by a major puke session) and Kyle was telling me to calm down as he was afraid that I was going to give her a complex about being sick for the rest of her life... She was fine after that... Probably ill from all the sniffly drips being swallowed... This morning she is still a little sniffly and coughy, but she is in good spirits!

Please note, I am not trying to start a debate here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment