11.14.2009

Last Christmas...



(Almost there, but not quite!)


When I reminisce about past Christmases I think back to my childhood... Hoping for the much coveted Christmas barbie, wishing for snow on December 25th, looking forward to my silly Christmas socks from Grandma with a sparkly Christmas card, and a new nightie from my Nana... and of course hoping that all of my siblings wake up as early as me so I can finally open my prezzies!
Last Christmas however, was filled with a different type of anticipation and different holiday wishes...

1. Please don't be born on Christmas day (let's be honest, it's not fair!)
2. Please be healthy
3. Please don't have as big of a head as the ultrasound techs keep telling me
4. Please, Please, NO MORE SNOW!

*The holiday week began with contractions, December 21st to be exact... OMG, I'm in labour!! Go to the hospital the next morning, after an okay sleep (if you're sleeping you're not in labour), only to be sent home disappointed!
*Move into parents house for the rest of the week as my sister and Priya had already arrived from Vancouver thinking Sienna would be coming any moment! We were wrong!
*Trying to get lots of rest but just getting really annoyed that a) I am having light contractions (although thinking they were really painful) every ten minutes and b) I still have no baby girl in my arms!
*Christmas eve... Go to the hospital for my scheduled non-stress test and ultrasound where I am almost kept in and induced because Sienna's heart rate suddenly drops during a contraction, but to no avail, she was fine during the next one! The ultrasound tech shows us her face in 3D, tears in my eyes, she's so cute and has these adorable chubby cheeks, and then I am told that she looks about 8lb4oz... OMFG, how am I going to push THAT out?!
*Christmas day... Please don't let it happen today, please! Thoroughly enjoy watching Priya open all of her presents, and watching Kyle's face as he realizes that I am the best future wife in the world, that's right, an XBOX360! Eat Christmas dinner and worry that I may be later puking this up in the middle of labour...
*Boxing day, Kyle goes to work and my contractions stop altogether... "The calm before the storm" I say in a text to Kyle... Mucus Plug!!! Mucus Plug!!! I am far too excited to see such a sight! This means labour is imminent! Phone Kyle at work to tell him the news, and he says out loud "SHE LOST THE MUCUS PLUG!" to his coworkers, OMG, thanks dear!
*Boxing day night, F#@K F#@K F#@K it hurts!!! Head to the hospital, contractions of course slow down, double F#@K, get sent home by the Queen Bitch of the nurses! Get back in the car and head back to my parents house, Dad driving, me in the front seat screaming out the window, Mom saying "I think we should go back!", Sarah saying "poor Debs" and Kyle has a head ache... Get home go lay down in bed... Kyle manages to snore next to me while I am writhing in pain and my Dr. Dad rubs my back for about 6 hours... Dad's ongoing joke: "Kyle confused labour coach with labour couch..."
*December 27th, AM... Back to the hospital... I lean against the check in desk, white as a ghost, ready for drugs. I get into a real labour room, not the side test room! Good sign! Yes!! I am 3-4cm!!! Dr says "Now, is there anything you'd like for pain management?" Deb says "Epidural please..." Dr says "Are you sure you don't want to try the other options f.....? "NOPE, EPIDURAL!"
*Sigh..........
*6 1/2 hours later I am pushing and Sienna isn't budging... After an hour of pushing the doctors and nurses start eyeing each other and saying "we can't do this for much longer..." So I push an extra two pushes every contraction and voila! Sienna is born!

Although it was an interesting holiday season it is the one I will remember in the most detail!
Look forward to a more relaxing Christmas this year and a fantastic 1st Birthday Party for Sienna!

4 comments:

  1. Labour is never is like the movies huh? Hope this Christmas goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to go ahead and write out my whole birth experience too! But I'll restraint myself.... I'll just mention that my labour was started by Tyler hitting a bump in the road too hard. Yes, it actually can start labour, I used to laugh at the idea that people suggested that it could. But it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll remember that for next time!! Please go on with your birth story! i love hearing all about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my birth story is very much like this one... except i don't fall asleep!! maybe for 10 minutes here and there!! but that is it!!

    ReplyDelete