10.05.2009

On another note, poop and farts...


I never thought that I would be discussing poop so nonchalantly with Kyle... I always wanted us to have a relationship where he assumed that I miraculously didn't do 'that' or ever have gas, but when it comes to our daughter we can't help but giggle when she does the "poo face" (frown, eyes watering, red face) or when she leans to the side in her high chair to let out a fart that echoes into the hard plastic below....
By the time we left the hospital after a two night stint, I had changed zero diapers whilst Kyle had changed the rest... I somehow knew that this would end; I could hardly let our baby sit in poop all day while Daddy was at work! 
Newborn poops are easy! You certainly know when they go, all of a sudden you hear a loud "SPLATTT," typically followed by a brownish, greenish, liquified leakage... Okay, so the leaking part is annoying, but the lack of scent really makes up for it! 
Now, there is no more lack of scent... As soon as Sienna started eating pureed vegetables and meats the poo morphed into a disgusting smelling sludge! I recall the first diaper I changed that reeked... I won't go into details, you all know what I mean (or at least you will....)
If you had told me 19 months ago that 19 months later I would be uttering such phrases as "shit, she's doing the poo face," "she just took a dump" and "you change her! I did the massive poo yesterday!" I definitely wouldn't have believed you! Honestly, I didn't think I gave her enough food to completely fill a size 4 diaper once a day, but apparently I do! (Note to self, invent scented diapers that masque the stench!)
I also can't help but think it is adorable when Sienna farts... It's so lovely how she simply doesn't know and doesn't care that farting in public is socially unacceptable... well at least for adults! Poor Kyle, when he does it I stare him down as if he has just told me he is running away with Cheryl Cole (hot British celeb, that he has a clear crush on)... When Sienna does it however, I laugh and she smiles back at me! 
My favorite farts are when she is sleeping of course, who can't think that is adorable! Just the other night she was lying asleep next to me , when she suddenly lifted her legs in the air and let out a really loud fart... Kyle and I laughed and I immediately snuggled up to her and gave her a kiss... Kyle said "I wish you did that to me when I farted!"



3 comments:

  1. Ahh, you stirred my memory, and from deep down came these two:

    1. I remember going on a date with Delores in high school. We were going to the movie where I was hoping to hold her hand and maybe later...After the movie we were walking toward my 1940 Mercury Club Coupe and she let loose a big fart. I was shocked. Until that moment I had never considered that females of the species farted!
    2. We had two boys in diapers at the same time. We spent a large part of every day washing and folding those cloth units. Hundreds of them, I swear. Speed Queen washer always on the go. But the memory that came was of the boys diaperless lying on their backs with little erections and both peeing a strong stream int o the air! We all laughed and laughed. I'll bet that they had just gotten out of the bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I don't have boys Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Free-Ride has an interesting post on her Blog here which raises some philosophical questions about farting!

    ReplyDelete